Analytics


Wednesday 30 December 2009

Kate Mosse - The Winter Ghosts



You can tell I was busy reading over Christmas can't you, and what is more fitting than an excellent ghost story. Kate once again returns to France, this time set after the First World War and up to 1933.

This is beautifully written and leads us slowly and surely to the dramatic conclusion. The descriptions of the countryside around the Haute Vallee in the Pyrenees, really take you there and you can well imagine the Cathars whispering on the wind. I think it would make an excellent reading group book, due to the themes of war, family loss, and religious fanaticism to name a few. It is also a shorter read and more manageable for a group that perhaps meets monthly. The idea of putting in drawings to illustrate it, is really inspired and adds to the whole period style of the book. A very classy package.

1 comment:

Stephanie Fey said...

I haven't read this but you do make it sound really appealing. I think I'll search it out and give it a try. Thanks for highlighting it, and I'm sure you'll soon have heaps of followers!

Steph Fey x