Analytics


Thursday 2 April 2009

Sebastian Barry - The Secret Scripture



This book was shorlisted for the Booker Prize and won the Costa Coffee Book of the Year. It is also shorlisted for the Galaxy British Book Awards, Author of the Year 2009.

This would usually mean that I will not like it! I am really not sure if I do. It is beautifully and almost lyrically written but it is so melancholy. Read this book if you want to be sad, you want to be angry at injustice, if you like a dark, Irish novel full of misery and regret. I found it really hard going. If you liked The Gathering by Anne Enright then this is for you!

It will make an excellent reading group choice because of its many themes.

I really need to read something light and jolly next before I slit my wrists...........

No comments: