Analytics


Monday 14 July 2014

George R. R. Martin - Game of Thrones

Phew I have just finished the long haul though all 5 books of the Game of Thrones fantasy series. What can I say? They are totally immersive, completely  addictive edge of the seat writing. this is mainly  due to the fact that no character is safe. Unlike so much fiction and like reality random bad things happen to the nice characters, leaving you as the reader bereft but acknowledging the overall truth that life is not fair.

If you enjoyed the series on TV then this is going to be a real treat. Your really get to own the characters, hence the emotional fallout when they do. Each chapter is dedicated to a character and you see the world from their view point. This means that as the series progresses you have multiple viewpoints of events, in an intense  multi layered experience. I am in awe.

I actually felt emotionally bereft when I finished Book 5 with the realisation that I may have to wait years until book six comes out but at least we do have a title!

No comments: