Analytics


Thursday 2 August 2012

Charles Todd - Ian Rutledge Series

I have been rather quiet lately as I have been working my way through this excellent series of books. Thank you to the ladies of Charminster Library for tipping me off to the series!  So I have worked my way through these. They have an interesting premise, imagine a detective coming back from the First World War, shell shocked and hearing the voice of the Scottish Sergeant he executed for disobeying a direct order, in his head. This literary device allows Inspector Rutledge to have conversations about the plot without introducing a wealth of new characters. It works very well, and the writers, a mother and son team, have an excellent sense of place considering that they are from the US. If you enjoy good old fashioned Christie-esque crime then this is a great find.

No comments: