Analytics


Wednesday 30 July 2008

Wuthering heights - Emily Bronte


This really is worth reading again. Nearly all our reading group had read it but at some time in the distant past. Many like myself had read it as a teenager, and to be honest I must have just read what I wanted, romance, Gothic and missed the rest!
If you have only seen one of the films, again read the book!
This book is incredibly fantastic literature, once I picked it up I could not put it down. All the characters were monsters and seriously flawed but her writing made you go on reading, analysing, open mouthed, jaw dropped.
I must have skimmed over the child and animal abuse on a previous reading, it is just dropped so inconsequentially into the plot, that now, as a mature person I say, hang on - what??!! This is a classic nature v nurture book, forget Kevin look at Heathcliff or Hareton!! And as for Cathy was she barking or what?
The real hero of this book is the setting, the Yorkshire Moors, I think it is very telling that nearly all our book club have been to Haworth, home of the Bronte's ...............

No comments: